The Waco Downtown Farmers Market offers FREE cooking demonstrations using farm fresh ingredients from their vendors. Enjoy these recipes from our demonstration on March 4th using many ingredients available early spring.
Pumpkin Bread French Toast
- half a loaf of pumpkin bread or zucchini bread, sliced thickly (about 6 pieces), The Wine Maker’s Pantry
- 3 eggs, Various Vendors
- ½ cup whole milk, Richardson Farms
- a splash of Nielsen Massey vanilla **
- Cinnamon honey syrup, recipe follows
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla together. Heat a nonstick or oiled skillet over medium high heat.
- Dip each piece of pumpkin bread in the mixture and soak for about 20 seconds. Let excess drip off, then transfer to the hot skillet and fry for a few minutes on each side (and repeat if needed) until both sides are golden brown and almost crispy (but the insides will still be soft).
- Serve with Cinnamon Honey Syrup.
Cinnamon Honey Syrup
- 3⁄4 cup honey, Round Rock Honey
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon**
Heat all ingredients in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until warm.
Herbed Pecan Pesto:
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, Various Vendors
- 1 1/2 cups pecans , Pecan Shop
- 4 cloves garlic, Various Vendors
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup olive oil, Texas Hill Country Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste **
Blend the basil, pecans, garlic, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt, and pepper together in a food processor until the mixture becomes a slightly chunky paste.
Farmer’s Market Italian Soup
- 16 ounce ground Pork sausage, World Hunger Relief Farm
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil Dipping Blend, CJ Farms
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning, CJ Farms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, Texas Hill Country Olive Oil
- 2 large carrots cut in to ¼” thick half moons, about 1.5 cups, Johnson’s Backyard Garden
- Leeks cut ¼” thick, about 1 cup, Johnson’s Backyard Garden
- Zucchini large dice, about 2 medium
- Celery chopped, about 1 cup
- onion chopped medium, about 1.5 cups, Star Farmers Market
- 2 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 32 oz Bone Broth, The Home Grown Farm + more if needed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, Passion Gardens Waco
- ½ lb pasta of choice
- 2 cups fresh spinach (or other dark leafy green), Various Vendors
- Salt and pepper **
- Herbed Pesto for topping
- Fresh Bread, Artisan Oven
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium high heat. Add in the sausage and brown , about 5 minutes. Put the sausage aside on a plate.
- Add more oil, the carrots, celery, leeks and onions. Add in 2 tsp salt and 21 tsp pepper. Cook over medium heat, scraping up any brown bits from the sausage on the bottom of the pot, and stirring occasionally. Cook until the onions turn translucent, about 10 minutes.
- When the onions have turned translucent, and the vegetables have cooked through, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then add in the can of diced tomatoes, bone broth, sausage, and thyme. Cook over low heat, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add in the spinach (or other leafy green).
- Add in pasta. Stir and continue cooking until pasta is cooked, 5 – 10 minutes depending on type of pasta.
- Taste to see if it needs more salt and pepper.
- Serve it topped with herbed pesto and warm bread.
- Will keep in an air tight container for 1 week in the fridge. Can be frozen for up to 6 months.