Zuppa Toscana Serves 6, 50 min
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 lb sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 lb small red potatoes, washed and quartered
1 tablespoon all purpose seasoning ( Garlic Herb)
½ teaspoon salt
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
Cracked black pepper
3 – 4 cups chopped kale or spinach
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot and cook sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks. (medium heat)
- To the pot, add onion, garlic, all the herbs and seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and cook with the onions and garlic for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a hard simmer (medium – high). Cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the milk and kale and cook for another 10 minutes (medium heat). If using spinach, cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste and serve.
Basil Pesto with Pecans
1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup nuts: pecans
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Combine all ingredients except olive oil in food processor. Process until it looks like very coarse meal and add oil gradually until smooth-ish.
Perfect for a little different take on a caprese salad
2 T freshly-made pesto
2 T Champagne Vinegar
For the smoothest vinaigrette, process in a blender. Otherwise, whisk together and serve. Will stay fresh in the refrigerator for two weeks. Drizzle over a salad of mixed greens, fresh or sundried tomatoes, and a few balls of fresh mozzarella.
Shaved Radish, Carrot, Cucumber Salad with Tangerines and Microgreens
Recipe by Lindsey Johnson
2 small carrots, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 large radishes, very thinly sliced
1/2 large cucumber, very thinly sliced
1 tangerine, peeled and thinly sliced
2 green onions, thinly sliced white and tender green parts
microgreens, about 1/4 cup
Arrange the sliced vegetables and tangerine on a serving platter. Top with the green onions and microgreens. Serve immediately with Orange and Honey Vinaigrette.
Orange and Honey Vinaigrette
1/3 c freshly squeezed orange or tangerine juice
¼ c olive oil
1 T honey
1 T Dijon mustard
3 T champagne vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
Whisk all ingredients (or shake in a Mason jar) and drizzle over salad. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.