The party season is fast approaching, and it has us thinking about our favorite appetizers. Over the past several years, we’ve tested dozens of appetizer recipes. We know, it’s a tough job but someone’s got to do it.
When you’re entertaining, consider these helpful tips as you plan your appetizer menu:
- Choose recipes that some or all of the preparation can be done ahead of time.
- Choose appetizers that can be served at room temperature.
- A cheese platter is always a good idea. Think of it as an edible centerpiece. We like to include three different types of cheeses, assorted nuts, fresh grapes, crackers, and a garnish of fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme.
- Allow 8 – 12 appetizers per person for cocktail parties.
This recipe for Roast Beef Roll Ups was one of our most requested catering menu items. It requires absolutley no cooking and can even be made the day before. It is lovely served on a rustic wooden serving board and paired with a hearty Cabernet Sauvignon.
The Gourmet Gallery Chefs — Karyn, Jo Ann, Rachel
Beef and Arugula Roll Ups
|Makes 24 Roll-ups
1 lb Seasoned Roast Beef, thinly sliced
4 oz soft cream cheese, Chevre, or shaved Parmesan
2 tablespoons French Dijon Mustard
3 cups fresh arugula
1 red bell pepper sliced in thin strips
Salt & Pepper
- On a clean work surface, spread each slice of roast beef with a thin layer of cheese and mustard.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Lay two to three pieces of arugula and a slice of red bell pepper at one end of each slice of roast beef.
- Gently roll up the beef, beginning at the end with the arugula. Secure with a toothpick.
- Keep refrigerated until serving. Can be made 1 day ahead.